What would the world be like if COVID-19 happened 10+ years ago and was in fact COVID-09?
Would the world have been as capable to respond and adapt to the pandemic? What differences would have existed without the digital technologies and networks we avail of today?
Have a read of the article below and let us know your opinion over on our social media platforms.
Was the world wide web really that wide? It most definitely was not as connected as it is now.
- Facebook was about keeping in touch with your close ones.
- The term “influencers” did not have a meaning.
- TikTok who?
Now, social media changed the world and how people see it. People around the world are able to watch, read and connect to everything happening globally because of social media.
Search Engine Optimisation
Only a decade ago, SEO was completely different from what we are used to today.
- Previously, there wasn’t anything that Google could do to remove keyword stuffing.
- Local search has been changed and reshaped.
- Google algorithms also started to prioritize HTTPS websites only since 2014.
A safer website means that users will trust you and search engines will rank you better.
In 2009, there were only a few smartphones to choose from.
- There was no deployment of mobile-first indexing.
- Businesses did not focus as much on the UX design of the mobile versions of their websites.
- There was barely any focus on user experience as opposed to now. Users often found it difficult to navigate important websites.
Generation Z (Gen Z) is the mobile-first generation.
- Gen Z was never the focus of consumer targeting.
- There were not many Gen Zs in the workforce.
- The generation of trends and influencing.
Online presence has drastically changed since 2009 and will continue to be of utmost importance over the coming years.
What do we assume our response would have been to a proposed COVID-09?
Nowadays, vaccinations and tests can now be tracked almost in real-time thanks to technological advances and digitisation, with information and alerts circulated quickly through social media and the web. As a result, we can emerge from this crisis with a greater understanding of how to use modern technologies and techniques to create a strong global network, which can be incredibly useful – and even life-saving – if used correctly.
To imagine being in the midst of a pandemic as early as 2009 may seem chaotic, however, similar to how we’ve evolved to newer approaches to reduce the risk of transmission now, we imagine the possibility of adapting back then too – but perhaps not as quickly and efficiently.
Irish Experience: Seanfhocail - Irish proverbs
Go néirí an bóthar leat.
Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin.
Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine.
An té a bhíónn siúlach, bíonn scéalach.
Luck on your journey.
There’s no hearth like your own hearth.
Under the shelter of each other, people survive.
He who travels has stories to tell.
At Cyber Science 2021, there will be a range of panels discussing digital networks. If you are interested in learning more, you cannot miss Cyber Science 2021. Register today!